Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:19:05 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Eric Jones <ejon@colltech.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

> that "This product is currently at the end of  its life cycle and will
> eventually
> be replaced."

The handy thing about "eventually" is that it can be a long time. :)

> Amusingly, the man page author (Jordan?) says, "This utility is a
> prototype which lasted approximately 3 years past its expiration
> date and is greatly in need of death."

All true, I'm afraid.  All I can say is that efforts to revive the
effort to replace sysinstall are underway and we're even trying to
throw some money-shaped darts at the problem in hopes that we'll hit
something.  I'm cautiously pessimistic, so we'll see. :)

In any case, nothing I'm currently trying to bootstrap here will see
the light of day before 5.0 at this point, so hacking sysinstall is
probably not such a bad prospect for the 3.x and 4.x releases to come.
I've even (*shudder*) been putting some work into cleaning the code up
a bit these past couple of days.

- Jordan