Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:30:38 -0200
From:      AT Matik <asstec@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Debugging ath device timeouts

On Monday 23 January 2006 15:56, Sam Leffler wrote:

> A device timeout in ath means a frame was submitted to the hardware for
> transmit but no interrupt was received for 5 seconds.  I cannot comment
> on the other drivers but I find it unlikely that the issue is common.

not exactly, this is very common on almost all WL cards and they are very=20
sensitive to this in FreeBSD, and the risk grows while traffic grows, often=
=20
it happens after the card was idle also, seems pci-cards are less and PCMCI=
A=20
cards more risky

the exactly same hardware with linux or staros often do not show this probl=
em,=20
booting back to freebsd it appears imediatly

wi cards often do not come back but ath card driver seems to be better

device_polling helped a lot because seems that other NICs on the PC could b=
e=20
taken out so that only the WLcards are interrupt driven

it helps also a lot using better MBs with nothing onboard or at least with=
=20
good acpi qualities and anything you do not need disabled in the Bios

often this points are useless for client stations which often do not can=20
disable sio/lpt or others

often helps checking with pciconf -lv or vmstat -i to find a slot order whe=
re=20
the WLcard is not sharing any other resource

certain MBs work better with and other without acpi enabled

Jo=E3o