Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:47:40 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: you have mail msg at root login

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 03:48:26PM -0800, James Long wrote:
> > Also, edit /etc/aliases to divert root's email to your normal user
> > account.
>
> Are there technical reasons to do it this way rather than say,
> using the ~root/.forward file?

Does convention count as a technical reason :)
It will be a few millisecondseconds faster I guess, the alias
checking comes first.
Also of course, all the mail that is destined for root may
actually have been addressed to one of the many other pseudo-users
in the system (postmaster, abuse, etc). You may actually want
mail for these users to go to some other admin account. In aliases
it is simpler to set this up than diddling around with procmail or
whatever in the .forward file.

The last reason sounds more convincing than the first two :).

--
Regards
Cliff