Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 20:10:57 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Wire, William" <william.wire@lmco.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supported Sound Cards

"Wire, William" writes:
> 	I was looking at the Sound blaster AWE 128 PCI card, but it's not
> available from Creative Labs any more.  They have a newer card, the
> PCI 512 and I was wondering if perhaps this section of the handbook
> was out of date and this card is supported.  If not, can you make a
> recommendation for a high quality, but trouble-fr ee card for a
> multimedia system?

Please wrap text before sending. Many email clients will auto-wrap on
send. Exmh2 in /usr/ports/mail/exmh2/ will wrap as you type, if you
wish. As will the editors for mutt. I've reformatted your words.

Creative may no longer offer their Ensonic-based/derived 128 but they
are still available. After being nuked by lightning last month the local
shop asked to use an OEM Soundblaster 128 PCI card (a.k.a. "Ensonic
ES1371" ???) as replacement of my old Aopen AW37. Cost was $38. Sure
other places have them but mine came from http://www.gigaparts.com/

What this card does not have is the THX/Dolby 5.1 stuff, and/or digital
out. Not that FreeBSD supports that right now. It does have front and
rear speaker outputs. Have not tried full duplex in and out yet.

The only hitch in making it work with an Asus A7V MB was to set "PnP
OS" to "No" in the MB's BIOS. FreeBSD had problems allocating register
space for it otherwise.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net