Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 21:30:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      tom brown <tmcb1971@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   General securiy of vanilla install WAS [FreeSSH]

I think we've lost the direction here somewhere.
This started as a conversation about
'security'options.

I think that FreeBSD is great as a distribution, and
it's realy importaint that it's flexable enough to
suit us all, including UUCP is clearly a must.

But something should be done to allow the less
experienced users roll out a box that can sit
unprotected on the net.  Personal experience has
demonstrated that many insecure installs are out there

running in production enviroments.  People often seem
to have the impression that unix is secure, but they
don't understand what they need to do to make it that
way.

If /stand/sysinstall had a checkbox in the install
that
said "don't run services" that would go a long way to
stoping vanilla installs being "cracked" thereby
giving
the project a bad name.  Simple IP filtering would
also
be a bonus.

Commercialy speaking people will start to pay more
attention to security in the near future.  If the
project were to exploit this need it could grab a
bigger chunk of the pizza.

It's a mean world out there, and FreeBSD is a good
contender as security goes, but not straight out
of the box!

I know of two apache servers running FreeBSD that
recieve a hostile packet every 5 seconds.
Base-install+apache+IPFW.  It took years the engineer
45 Minuits to build them, and 2 Years to learn how..

Tom

=====