Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:51:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@osd.bsdi.com, shannon@widomaker.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

] I never said a "CDROM must boot to sysinstall" and I challenge you to
] find a quote to that effect.  What both Nik and I said was that it
] must be an OPTION to do so, somehow, or you haven't provided a stock
] FreeBSD experience and people are potentially going to be confused as
] to what "FreeBSD" means.  This holds especially true if you haven't
] provided source code to your wizzy installer and they have no way of
] figuring out how or why it's even misbehaving, which you can bet it
] will since nobody ever writes perfect software.

You know that the CDROM boot process is based on a 2.88M floppy
image.  If it "must be an OPTION to do so", then you are saying
the same thing: that it must boot to sysinstall.

I think you are still confusing me with Brett Glass: he's the
one who wanted to do this a while back.

] I certainly don't see you answering questions on the freebsd-questions
] mailing list or you'd know that anything which creates confusion as to
] what a user is doing during the installation or general usage of
] FreeBSD only makes tech support that much more of a challenge.  I'm
] not "defending sysinstall because it's my baby", I'm defending the
] right to have "FreeBSD" mean something as definitive as possible in
] the cradle-to-grave experience.  If you want to write a much better
] installer and donate it so that we can make it the new default, so
] much the better and POLA will still be obeyed from a tech support
] perspective.

I put my time in on -questions years ago.  I tend to answer
more in depth questions on -hackers and -current, like where
to look to see how to do file I/O in the kernel.

I'm well aware of the human factors issues with installers and
software in general.

] And please, don't insult our intelligence by saying that tech support
] won't be an issue because you're going to putt a 1-800 number on your
] wizzy installer or something.  People either won't call it or won't
] notice it, but they will go to www.freebsd.org and they'll eventually
] find their way onto IRC or the various mailing lists and ask why the
] pulsating red button never does the right thing when they push it.
] You, of course, will be nowhere to be found there and everyone else
] will be looking around and shaking their heads at this crazy person
] who's just wandered into the forum talking about a button that, from
] their perspective, doesn't exist.

I'm not interested in doing a distribution; the releases I
build stay in-house.

I think you are thinking of Brett Glass.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.