Date:      Thu,  2 Apr 1998 19:34:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kevin Street <street@iName.com>
To:        Jay Richmond <jayrich@room101.sysc.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unusual dump problem

Jay Richmond writes:

>Since upgrading from a 2.2-stable system (built around Sep 1997) to
>2.2.6-release, I started to experience a strange dump problem.
>
>Now the strange part is:  when running dump through cron it ALWAYS hangs
>midway through dumping the large /usr file system (there is plenty of
>space on the backup disk by the way) every time.  However, when I run it
>as root normally, it completes EVERY time without a hitch.

I have seen something similar... when I do a dump using sudo on a
large filesystem it hangs when it tries to put out a status message like
  DUMP: 15.75% done, finished in 0:26
(the message does not get displayed when it hangs).
If I su to root instead of using sudo it works fine.  Watching top it
appears that one of the dump processes dies and the rest are paused.

My nightly cron dumps don't see this, but they're short and probably
are not putting out the status message (I do the level 0 dumps manually).

Can you tell if your cron dump is pausing at the point that it would
be trying to put out a status message?
--
Kevin Street
street@iName.com