Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 23:49:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Sandip Srivastava <ssriva1@gl.umbc.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Communication problems

On Mon, 10 Jun 1996, Sandip Srivastava wrote:

> I am not connected to a network and have no network card in my pc.  I do
> have a 14400 internal modem on com1 irq4 in my pc.
>
> When I run "seyon", I get the following messages:
>
> Warning:  Could not execute `seyon-emu.
>
> Notice:  Falling to `xterm'.
>
> Modem initialization routine failed
>
> What's wrong here?

I'm not a ppp guru (I have it working, but barely) so I won't try to
answer that one.  Seyon is designed so that you can run any particular X
program as the terminal emulator by calling the "fake" program
seyon-emu.  When I run seyon (seldom, I like kermit now) I set up a link
in /usr/X11R6/bin, between color_xterm (the program I want seyon to run
for the terminal) and seyon-emu by setting a soft link up (see man ln)
with the command line:
ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/color_xterm /usr/X11R6/bin/seyon_emu

This creates the seyon-emu (really a link to color_xterm)

You don't even have to do this, tho, because seyon is smart enough, if it
can't find 'seyon-emu' to execute, it gives that error message and
executes xterm anyhow.  Safe enough.

Go looking for color_xterm (if you want) in the FreeBSD ports collection.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |