Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:24:46 +0000
From:      "Graham Lillico" <graham_lillico@hotmail.com>
To:        mwm@mired.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem Sizes

What i was originally thinking was to put /usr/src, /usr/obj, & /usr/ports
on seperate filesystems but I didn't know how big to make them, but your way
souund better and /usr/home was going to be seperate and NFS mounted from
the fileserver anyway.

All platforms are either FreeBSD or Windows, there is a Linux Firewall but
thats getting replaced by FreeBSD as soon as I can get my head around
ipfilter properly.

The main idea was to allow say the fileserver to do the buildworld as you
said and then the other systems to just do the installworld.  I assume that
in your setup that /ports/distfiles would also be a link to
/share/distfiles, as not every system will contain the same ports as the
other systems, or would the fileserver have to do 'make package' first on
ports that were to be installed on other systems.

So being that I have one 20Gb disk and two 40Gb disks what sort of
filesystem layout would you reccomend?  They are all IDE and I could just
about stretch to another 40Gb disk at a push. Any help will definitely be
appreciated, as this seems to be getting more complicated by the minute.

Yes I definitely agree that this need documenting, setting up a fileserver
to do src, ports, home dir's is a pain.  Perhaps I'll consider writing
somethig once I get this thing sorted.

Graham