Date:      Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:52:20 -0800
From:      "Jake Khuon" <khuon@NEEBU.Net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cisco mini-PCI cards with the latest firmware

### On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:44:55 -0800 (PST), Doug Ambrisko
### <ambrisko@ambrisko.com> casually decided to expound upon Joe Marcus
### Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> the following thoughts about "Re: Cisco
### mini-PCI cards with the latest firmware":

DA> Joe Marcus Clarke writes:
DA> | I'm curious if there are any known issues with the -CURRENT an driver,
DA> | and the Cisco Aironet mini-PCI cards running the latest firmware?  I
DA> | have seen some emails in December, but I wanted to confirm if there was
DA> | still an issue on -CURRENT?  Thanks.
DA>
DA> If you use older firmware (ie. firmware before they started to use TX Copy)
DA> then it works okay in -CURRENT.  In 5.2 there was some #ifdef HACK code
DA> that tried to deal with the TX Copy stuff but it had negative effect on
DA> the older firmware.  So it should work okay.  Getting the information
DA> I need to fix it still hasn't happened and I haven't got lucky with
DA> my experiemnts :-(

At what point did they start doing the TX copy stuff?  I and others running
5.00.01 are seeing some problems with the card hanging or timing out.  I've
also had the system crash on me.  This does indeed seem to happen when
signal quality gets low and/or lots of network activity is happening.

When you say the HACK code had detrimental effects on older firmware, are
you also implying that it works fine with newer firmware?  In other words,
would upgrading the firmware to the latest and #define'ing the HACK allow
things to work properly?

--
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- |