Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:57:29 +1300
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        stefan@rent-a-guru.de
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: web site stats package

> Hi,
>
> > Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz> wrote in freebsd-isp:
> >
> > I set up http-analyze-1.9e at one stage.  The stats it generates are
> > substantially incorrect.  There was another package that was independently
> > written but provides a very similar functionality, down to the look of the
> > pages produced.  I don't remember the name of it at present.
>
> please could you be a *little* more careful about such
> claims or either proof your assumptions.
>
> The version 1.9d of http-analyze has had some problems under
> certain conditions (wrong setup, Netscape Fasttrack/Enterprise),
> but 1.9e did correct this. However, 1.9x is out-of-date since
> 1.5 years now.
>
> http-analyze does *not* generate substantially other results
> than for example analog or a plain `wc -l' on the logfile.
> There might be differences if it comes to certain interpre-
> tations of `pageviews' and `sessions', which depend on the
> individual setup (sessions are unique sites over a freely
> configurable time-window for example), but the number of
> hits, files sent etc. are actually the same as in any other
> log analyzer package.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan

I stand by my words.  The 'Hits' column in your 'Hits by Day' table is inconsistent with the output I get for 'grep 14/Feb/1999 /home/newsroom/logs/access_log | wc -l'  or accesswatch  I don't have analog installed.  http-analyze-1.9e figures equal 'wc -l' figures by 2.  In this case I get 23287 with 'wc -l' as opposed to http-analyze stating there were 11644 hits that day.

This information relates to http-analyze-1.9e from the package file as distributed with 2.2.7-RELEASE.  Having stated that this was 'at one stage' and cited the version number of your software I don't think that there was a lack of care involved.  I acknowledge that this is not the current version of the software.  I have not checked to see if the problem has been corrected.  The logs are generated by Apache using it's standard definition of common log file format.

The volume of data involved in providing 'proof' isn't appropriate on the list, and the raw logs from our site contain confidential data.  If you don't believe me and can't reproduce the fault, I suppose I could produce some bogus log data and send you the log data and http-analyze output.  Several FTP sites still archive the 2.2.5-RELEASE package collection.

Andrew McNaughton