Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 04:23:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        "Orville R. Weyrich.Jr" <orville@weyrich.com>
Cc:        "Freebsd Net (E-mail)" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Restricting traffic on one interface

On Sat, 19 May 2001, Orville R. Weyrich.Jr wrote:

> I have a dual homed FreeBSD-4.3 machine and want to restrict traffic
> on one interface but not the other (one interface is to a trusted
> network and the other is not).
>

> What I want is the untrusted interface to only present SMTP and HTTP
> ports, while the trusted interface presents telnet, ftp, NFS, SMB,
> etc.

> What is the best way to do this?  The machine does NOT have IP
> forwarding enabled.

	Run a firewall to block traffic on that interface. You can search
	the archives or the web for more information.  See also ipfw man
	page.

	Of course, there are other ways to do this, but firewalling is
	probably best suited for this task.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"