Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 09:05:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange error message

> > I haven't booted up my second disk in a long time in my laptop, and now
> > I get this error:
> >
> > wd0: interrupt timeout:
> > wd0: status 50<seekdone> error 0
> > wd0: interrupt timeout:
> > wd0: status 50<seekdone> error 1<no_dam>
>
> The interrupt timeout suggests that either the drive electronics have
> died, or that you have a connector problem; have you tried removing and
> replugging it?

I'll try that now.  Sigh, the same thing happens. :(

> > Unfortunately, it's on my root partition, so 'dd' doesn't even work.
> > Unfortunately, the disk is 'unclean', so I can't even mount it
> > read-write to go find the offended disk block.  I suspectk it's trying
> > to read some block on my disk that went bad, but the error recovery is
> > such that once it starts to read it, it can't get past it.  Is there
> > something I can do to recover, or is it time to get a new disk (I don't
> > even know if I can buy one for a machine this old)?  I haven't noticed
> > anything wrong on the DOS side of the disk, but it just might not have
> > any bad-spots on that part of the disk.
>
> The error above doesn't really indicate a bad sector.  It's odd though
> that the disk works under DOS, unless DOS doesn't use the interrupt for
> the disk but instead polls for status.

Even more interesting is that I can fsck the /usr partition w/out any
problems.

> It's possible that the error is such that the firmware on the drive
> crashes trying to deal with it, and this is the cause of the disk
> "cycling" as you describe it.

That's what I'm thinking.

> > Thanks for any help you can provide!
>
> I'm mildly puzzled that the disk works at all in any other situation.
> What sort of disk is it?  You say "second" above; do you have another
> identical unit?

No, I have a smaller 'spare' drive that I keep -current installed on.
My primary disk has two partitions, one for Win95, the other FreeBSD.  I
can read all of the DOS partition, and all but the root partition on the
FreeBSD side.

Nate