Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:50:07 -0800
From:      "Evan Dower" <evantd@hotmail.com>
To:        dejan.lesjak@ijs.si
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recovering Damaged Partition Table

Well, it worked mostly. I've got the partition table back and reinstalled
boot0, but I must be confused about the later boot stages, because I can't
get the partition I want to boot properly. I can boot from ad0s1a, but I
want to boot from ad0s2a. I can mount ad0s1a and ad0s2a as well as
ad0s3{d,e,f}, and everything seems to be in tact. In the bootloader, when I
hit F2 to boot ad0s2a it just beeps at me. I tried to use 'bsdlabel -B
/dev/ad0s2', but I must have done something wrong, because it didn't work. I
also tried 'bsdlabel -B -b /current/boot/boot /dev/ad0s2' where /dev/ad0s2a
is mounted on /current to no avail. What do I need to do?
Thanks some more,
--
Evan Dower
Undergraduate, Computer Science

>From: Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
>To: Evan Dower <evantd@hotmail.com>
>CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: Recovering Damaged Partition Table
>Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:44:32 +0100
>
>Evan Dower wrote:
>
> > So, the other day I was ripping some CDs...
> >
> > Upon restart, there was a message that ad0 had an unrecoverable error
> > (media changed). It's a hard disk. I didn't notice any gnomes breaking
> > into my computer and changing it on me. No matter. It won't boot. I
> > installed FreeBSD on an empty partition of another disk, which is how I
> > got to where I am now. Naturally, I have no backups.
> >
> > My plan is to reconstruct the partition table and then all should be
>fine.
> > I've determined that my files seem to be in tact using 'strings /dev/ad0
>|
> > less'. It even looks like part of the partition table remains.
> >

>Hello,
>You can try with this utility:
>http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/
>which is also included on knoppix live-cd
>(http://www.knoppix.org/)
>I just saved two NTFS partitions with it, so I hope this helps...
>
>Dejan

Check out the great features of the new MSN 9 Dial-up, with the MSN Dial-up
Accelerator. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/