Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 00:08:42 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Eric Jacoboni <jaco@teaser.fr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About USB scanner and FreeBSD 4.2

> uhci0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xc400-0xc41f irq 5 at device 7.2 on
> pci0
> usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub0: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
> ugen0: EPSON Perfection1240, rev 1.00/1.04, addr 2
> uhci1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xc800-0xc81f irq 5 at device 7.3 on
> pci0
> usb1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci1
> usb1: USB revision 1.0
> uhub1: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
> uhub1: 2 ports with 2 removable, self powered
>
> % usbdevs
> addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
>  addr 2: Perfection1240, EPSON

I note that that scanner isn't listed as supported on my uscanner man
page. If it's listed on yours, then ignore the rest of this, and start
checking to see that you're running the right kernel.

> But i still don't figure how to access it :(
>
> First, as far i've understood, it should be seen as uscanner0, not
> ugen0 (if i don't use 'device ugen' line, it's not seen at all).

Yup, it should. The fact that it isn't means that the usb scanner
driver isn't recognizing it, so it isn't going to work (unless you're
using software that expects to talk to it via ugen).

Try doing "usbdevs -v" to get the numbers that correspond to that
device. Then go to /usr/src/sys/dev/usb, verify that the vendor number
you get matches EPSON in the usbdevs file, then check for the product
number there as well.

If the scanner is listed in usbdevs, then check for it in the scanner
table in uscanner.c. If it's there, then it wasn't recognized for some
reason, so I'd start checking for things like the kernel sources not
being the one you're running. If it isn't there, then there's a good
chance it won't work with this driver, but it's worth trying
anyway. Add the entry to the table in uscanner.c, rebuild and boot
that kernel and see if uscanner shows up.

If the scanner isn't listed in usbdevs, add it, then add it to the
table in uscanner.c. Run "make -f Makefile.usbdevs" to rebuild the usb
device data tables, then rebuild and boot the kernel and see if
uscanner shows up.

Until you get the uscanner device to show up, it won't work.

When you're done, send a note to n_hibma@freebsd.org with the new
usbdevs line, and if it works the line for uscanner.c. If not, let him
know it didn't work.

> Second, I've installed xsane from the ports. 'man xsane' claims xsane
> should be called as :

Once you get the kernel recognizing the scanner, try symlinking
/dev/scanner to /dev/uscanner0. There's a good chance sane will figure
out what to do from there.

	<mike