Date:      Sun, 9 Aug 1998 16:44:37 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AMD-specific kernel code (was: How long a wait?)

On Saturday,  8 August 1998 at 23:49:51 -0700, David Greenman wrote:
>> The effect on CPU performance is also noticable:  here are "make
>> world" times:
>>
>> Without write allocate:
>>
>> real    106m58.441s
>> user    63m0.960s
>> sys     20m25.035s
>>
>> With write allocate:
>>
>> real    114m16.402s
>> user    69m41.733s
>> sys     17m54.862s
>>
>> These were only a rough test (I had other stuff running at the same
>> time), but in practice this normally only makes about 1 minute
>> difference.  I'd guess that the difference *is* real.  Obviously there
>> must be a reason for enabling or disabling this behaviour, and I'd
>> guess that write allocation is most effective when one process is
>> using much CPU time.  'make world' starts thousands of short-lived
>> process, and may thus be the worst-case scenario.  In this connection,
>> it's also interesting to note that system time was down and user time
>> was up with write allocation.
>>
>> I have patches available.  Does anybody want to commit them?
>
>    Based on the above performance numbers, I'd say no - they appear to be
> a pessimization.

If they were always like that, I'd agree.  But as I said, I think it
depends on the application, and I'm prepared to believe that
long-running servers could benefit significantly.

Still, that's not proven. I've put the patches on
ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/AMD-write-allocate-patch.  They relate to
today's -CURRENT.  How about some other people grabbing them and
trying them out?

Greg