Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 17:23:44 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Code review request (new MII support)

> The past couple of days I've been experimenting with the MII/PHY
> support code from NetBSD (sys/dev/mii). This code provides support
> for MII transceivers attached to ethernet controllers. Many (hell, most)
> of the fast ethernet controllers on the market today include support
> for MII-compliant transceivers. At the moment, all of the drivers for
> ethernet cards that use MII transceivers have their own MII support
> code, and handle autonegotiation and media selection themselves. The
> result is a fair amount of duplicated code.

Funny, I remember saying this a while back.  Nice to see that someone's
doing the real work on it though.  8)

> Getting it to work properly on FreeBSD was complicated by the fact that
> NetBSD makes copious use of <sys/device.h> and src/kern/subr_autoconf.c
> for device configuration, whereas we have all but forgotten about them.
> (I assume this is because somebody out there has an incredibly spiffy
> replacement that will do everything they do plus more, right? Right?
> Uh... hello, is this thing on? *tap* *tap*)

Correct.  You want to be talking to Doug Rabson (dfr), and perhaps Nick
Hibma (n_hibma) and Nicolas Souchu (nsouch) (all @freebsd.org).  We do
indeed have a very spiffy new bus infrastructure, which would take to
your situation here very well.

> What I would like are comments and suggestions, particularly about
> how to improve the way the code is configured into the kernel; what I
> did for now is just a quick hack to get everything built.

To see the new bus code in action, look at eg. sys/dev/iic.  Nick was
also working on some sample bus/driver code.