Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 02:18:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: softupdates & fsck

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:
[...]
> Since I assume that a fsck was done because the clean bit was not
> set when the reboot occurred, you are telling me that you needed
> two fsck's.  Or you are telling me that you trieed to fsck a
> mounted FS, which is a no-no.

System (most likely only the console) froze, hit reset, fsck ran because
the clean bit wasn't set, undeletable directories remained. Rebooted into
single user mode, manually ran fsck -y which cleared the problem (or
appeared to). I've also had problems with odd undeletable files, which I
just booted into single user mode and clri'd (with the same kernel).

> Was soft updates enabled?

Yes, on both sd0 and 1.

> Hitting the reset is no different than going into the debugger.  The
> disk should be in a consistent state, barring cylinder group bitmaps.
>
> This assumes your pre-CAM version wasn't so pre-CAM that the sync(2)
> issues had yet to be addressed (ie: you would need code dates, and
> I would have to ask Julian, or you could ask Julian, to find out
> if that date was pre or post the sync(2) fixes).

Well, the kernel was built ~Sept 12th.  I've cvsup'd numerous times since
then so I don't have exact RCS IDs.  If I can build a non CAM kernel some
way to test this, I'd do it.  But I'm somewhat leery of building a
CAMified kernel as this has proven itself to be bad idea when combined
with softupdatse.

> In any case, under no circumstances should the disks be in a
> state that results in files in lost+found if soft updates is
> working.

Good to see I'm not loosing my mind (yet).

- alex