Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 23:06:23 -0600
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.dyn.ml.org>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        Michael Knoll <knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11 and /tmp

>  > Also, I installed X11, and started XDM in a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
>  > When it runs, the server(SVGA_???) goes up to 97% cpu time, and I can't log
>  > in locally.  But, remote connections work, but I lose CPU clocks.
>  >
>  > If I start XDM from a shell as root, it all works fine.
>  >
>  > Where should I be automatically starting xdm on boot?
>
> I do mine in /etc/rc.local, which is the equivalent of
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  Here's the line I use:
>
> 	echo -n 'starting local daemons:'
>
> 	# put your local stuff here
>
> 	/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm && echo -n ' xdm'

In the FAQ it says:  "Starting xdm via /etc/ttys is a Bad Thing. I don't know
why this crept into some README file."  No explanation at all of *why* it's a
Bad Thing.  I *hate* that.  In defiance, I've been starting xdm by listing it
in my /etc/ttys file for years with no noticeable ill effect.  Can anyone tell
me *why* it's a Bad Thing?