Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 15:18:02 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        drauman <drauman@siscom.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MySQL Server Package

drauman wrote:

> On a FreeBSD 4.3 SMP install.  I've tried to install "mysql-server-3.23.26"
> and "mysql-server-3.22.32" packages via "/stand/sysinstall"  in both cases
> the proper client installs but the server errors with "error code 1".  It
> also reports that I should review the "debug screen" for details.  After
> searching for a while I still don't even know how to view the "debug
> screen".  Can anyone help?

Use the advice provided by others to see more output.
However, I have a pretty good guess as to what the problem is (as this
is common). MySQL is fussy in that it must be able to reliably determine
its hostname before installing. If a reverse lookup on your IP address
doesn't jive with the hostname you set for the computer, the install
will bonk.
The easiest way to get around this (that I know of) is to put your
hostname in the /etc/hosts file in the appropriate place.

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?