Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:36:34 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail startup, oddness in /etc/rc

On Friday 15 February 2002 04:52 pm, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> Hello,
> While investigating how to delay the startup of my mail system
> until later in the boot process I discovered something a bit odd. I
> use postfix, and it is all setup as it is supposed to with the mail
> wrapper etc. I thought I would check how it is started in /etc/rc.
>
> However "sendmail_enable" set to "YES" in /etc/rc.conf does not
> work unless it finds /etc/mail/sendmail.cf ! This surely cannot be
> correct except for users of (the real) sendmail.
>
> I suppose it is harmless, but if you use another MTA what do you
> need sendmail.cf for ?

   JOOC, if you use another MTA, why would sendmail_enable be needed
in rc.conf?  Doesn't that line (when set to "YES") actually start the
sendmail daemon?
   I may be wrong, but I think that, by virtue of having that line in
rc.conf (or defaults/rc.conf), you unwittingly tried to make yourself
a user of the real sendmail.  If so, the missing config (.cf) file
just prevented it from acutally happening. :-)

--
"My ancestors didn't come over on the Mayflower, but they met the
boat." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935), who was part Cherokee