Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:49:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Kamal R. Prasad" <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resuming from a crashdump

--- ctodd@chrismiller.com wrote:

[snip]

> Well booting the kernel generally takes little time,
> but if all the
> processes could be restored this would be a step in
> the right direction.

If restoring a previously executing program can
recover some *context*, then it makes sense to
restore. If you want to restore a process just to save
bringup time -that is a different issue.

> As John said, restoring the state of some programs
> will have to rely on
> the program, but perhaps this could lead to an API
> of some sort that would
> make this less painful on the program author.

I am working on this with the author of checkpointing
in dragonfly (Kip Macy). Basically, the program author
will decide when to save the context of a process and
it will depend on how it interacts with the system.
Saving a shadow copy of the kernel is rather
difficult.

regards
-kamal