Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2014 22:27:01 -0500
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        Jean-Philippe Provost <jphilippe.provost@gmail.com>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD will run on a old MacBook laptop?

On 22 February 2014 18:22, Jean-Philippe Provost
<jphilippe.provost@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the infos. I'll give it a try.
>
> I know that Mac OS X is UNIX, but I want UNIX in a *pure* way ;)

Ah, well.  I've run FreeBSD fine (temporarily, for testing purposes, of course)
on a late-2006 Macbook with a clacking (read: dead) hard drive.  The intel
graphics left a lot to be desired, but the general speed (compilation, running
various applications, boot-up, & so on) was quite fast compared to my 2008-
vintage Toshiba laptop.  The fancy fellows in their comfortable shoes get
at least some credit for their ability to piece together a functional
yet stylish
blob of hardware.

I'd advise enjoying FreeBSD, but you'll probably end up wanting to put OS->.<
back on her eventually.  It's nice (in the nicest possible way) to be
able to run
graphical applications without futzing for hours trying to figure out what
bizarre incantations & which precise species of chicken to harvest the needed
bones from that will nudge Xorg into showing you something other than a grim,
black screen with an unresponsive keyboard.

At last the hardware spec is stable, & well-documented.