Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:24:16 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setuid on nethack?

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 10:15:37AM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> This morning I see an e-mail from the system telling me that setuid is set on
> nethack, the adventure-style game that I installed recently.  Why would this
> game require this bit?  I reset it with chmod 0544, which seems like plenty to
> me.

AFAIK, many games on Unix systems are setuid or setgid 'games', so that
any user on the system can read and write the high scores and saved games.
If you only intend to play Nethack from one particular system account,
you should have no problem without the setuid bit, but make sure to
set the appropriate owner/group/permissions on the high scores and
saved games files/dirs.

G'luck,
Peter

--
If this sentence didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.