Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 18:30:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        a11 <a11@pclv.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Someone into my system?

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, a11 wrote:

> Hi, I hope you will help me out .  I am so new at this you wouldn't
> believe it...However, I have FreeBSD running our server. (Someone else

*** Trimmed unsightly mess of unformatted slop, but decided to answer
question anyway.  Please make it easy for us to write you back! ***

> Apache/1.3.2 mod_ssl/2.62(PassPhraseDialog) Some of your private key
> files are encrypted for security reasons. In order to read them you have
> to provide us with the pass phrases.
> Enter pass phrase:

Apache SSL is trying to load your pass phrase during system boot file and
failing. I believe you have stumbled upon an entry in the Apache FAQ.

> Thurs, a new line showed up at the bottom:
> Apache mod_ssl: Error: Pass phrase incorrect. (5 more retries permitted)
>
> Enter pass phrase:
>

> We are running two private machines networked to the server.  We use
> cablemodem.
>
> What exactly were they trying to accomplish?

"They" were probably init!  Do all of these message occur right after a
reboot? :)

Not to discredit the possibility of attack.  There is an axiom that goes
something like this.  Never attribute to malfeasance that which can be
adequately explained by error.  (Some would quote it in harsher language.)

If you are just getting started you should ask yourself very carefully,
"What changed?" and "What do the docs say?"  Apache is _very_ well
documented on the net.

Hope this helps!

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells