Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:43:21 -0800
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NIC problem - no status:active in ifconfig -a

I have a firewall machine with two nics that seems to be having a problem -
when accessing my web site on a public isp it redirects to my home web server
where natd then redirects the incoming http request to my web server. This had
been working just fine for most of a year, now it no longer works. I can
connect to the web server from inside my home network and the web server does
return the web pages, so apache does work just fine. I can ping both nics in
the firewall and get a response from both, from the machine itself and from
any machine in the network. So it appears both nics are working properly.
I run ifconfig -a and both nics show their proper ip addresses etc, but -
one nic shows status: active and the other does not show status anything. The
nic with the inside address of 192.168.1.10 (xl0) shows status: active, the
outside nic with address 208.194.173.26 (ep1) does not show status: active.
Is this a problem? Could it have something to do with natd not redirecting
the incoming http requests? All machines on my network are able to access
the net just fine. I don't know what to check next.

--
Chip Wiegand
Alternative Operating Systems