Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 19:16:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <dga@pobox.com>
To:        res03db2@gte.net (Robert Clark)
Cc:        JHowie@msn.com (John Howie), res03db2@gte.net (Robert Clark), matrix@ipform.ru (Artem Koutchine), security@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Antisniffer measures (digest of posts)

Yes to token ring, yes to FDDI.  If the medium supports broadcast, the
odds are good it supports some kind of sniffing, though it may take more
or less work to access it depending on your hardware.

I must say, though, that this is heading down the wrong line of questions,
IMHO.  Trying to find a network technology where the NICs are harder to
throw into promiscuous mode is like building a glass outhouse and then
trying to find nearsighted neighbors.

If you want half measures, buy some cheap switches and go for it.

If you want more than half measures, you can try the hardcoded MAC + mac
security on the switches approach.

If you want real security, use end-to-end encryption of some form.

  -Dave

work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/