Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 10:33:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN: Sync vs Async. Was: Bragging rights..

> >Cheating them?
>
> Yes. Because they think their getting 128k (or 115k) and they're only
> getting 90K.

Where is this 90K figure coming from?

115200 / 10 = 11520 bytes/second (or 11.25K)
115200 /  8 = 14400 bytes/second (or 14.06K)

> Now if you TELL them that they're only getting 90K and thats what they're
> paying for,
> then thats OK...the way it should be. But if they think they're getting 115
> or 128k for
> what their paying, then its being misrepresented.

If I were to sell a customer an async ISDN line, they are getting precisely
what they pay for.  It is not being misrepresented.  They are paying for,
and receiving, 115k of async bandwidth.  What is it about this that you have
difficulty comprehending?

> If I were your competitor my
> Newspaper adds would read (get full 128k with ET (Joe only gives you 90K))
> I'd have so many more customers that I could eat the cost of the sync cards
> and laugh my
> way to the bank.

And then to court (but hey, that's just me).

Of course if you really think you would have so many more customers that you
could afford to write off the cost of the sync cards, maybe it would be
easier to just wait until you go under and take your customer base at that
point.

> >Buddy, in this business, people PAY for bandwidth.  An ISP could really care
> >less about the technology used to connect a customer's site - it only
> >affects recurring monthly costs and startup costs, which are passed off to
> >the customer anyways.  What you're REALLY paying the ISP for is bandwidth!
> >And if you drop in a technology that squeezes more data over the line, the
> >ISP needs to take this into account in their overall strategy.  A T1 can be
> >split into over 30 64K async channels before reaching bandwidth overcommit,
> >whereas it can only be split into 24 sync channels!  That is a respectable
> >impact on operations.
>
> Precisely. Charge for the bandwidth. You can charge MORE for sync, because
> you get more.
> I thought that the idea of being in business was to make money, one by having
> value-added services, each of which I make a small margin, and the other to get
> more customers by having something to offer that my competitor doesn't have.

But who says the competitor doesn't offer it?  It's just disproportionately
expensive, which is why most people don't care to look into it.

> I'm getting the
> feeling that all of your customers must be residential, in which case you
> may not have an opportunity.

No, actually all of my customers are businesses, and are connected at rates
that are at least Ethernet.  This is purely an academic exercise  :-)

... Joe