Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:07:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
Cc:        Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: printing from windows xp to lpd without samba

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Roman Neuhauser wrote:

>     i'm running lpd with -clW switches (windows lpr sends from ports
>     >1024), and printing from my FreeBSD desktop works just fine:
>
>     Oct 25 11:56:12 ishtar lpd[7336]: freepuppy.bellavista.cz requests recvjob lp
>     Oct 25 11:56:15 ishtar lpd[7339]: freepuppy.bellavista.cz requests displayq short lp
>
>     but from windows boxes:
>
>     Oct 25 11:56:57 ishtar lpd[7341]: martin.bellavista.cz requests
> recvjob lp
>     Oct 25 11:56:57 ishtar lpd[7341]: Error receiving job from
> martin.bellavista.cz:
>     Oct 25 11:56:57 ishtar lpd[7341]: lp: lost connection
>
>     roman@ishtar ~ 1001:0 > lpq
>     Warning: no daemon present
>     Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
>     1st    tkadlec    5    Test Page                             0 bytes

I don't know.  It looks to me as if there may be a permissions problem on
ishtar.  The Windows machine (martin) *does* try to submit a job, so the
installation worked ok, and lpd acknowledges the transmission.  However,
then you get a job error and the file is created with zero bytes - hmm,
that *doesn't* sound like permssions, actually, you'd expect no spool file
to be created at all.  "lp" *is* the actual name of the spool you're
trying to access, right?

My experience with LPR printing from Windows machines is entirely with
embedded or standalone print servers, rather than through a Unix host, so
I've probably reached the end of my usefulness.

>     this is how I add the printer:
>     Start -> Settings -> Printers -> Local printer -> Create new port ->
>     Standard TCP/IP port -> Printer name/address: ishtar.bellavista.cz ->
>     Device type -> Custom -> Protocol: LPR, Spool name: lp -> <select
>     the right driver> (the printer is HP LaserJet 1200 PS) -> ... ->
>     print test page.

That all looks correct.

>     all I get is the "lp: lost connection" line in the logfile.
>
>     so, what am I doing wrong?

I'd throw a protocol analyzer (tcpdump would do) on there and see what the
conversation looks like, but that's just me as a network guy.

KeS