Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 12:31:31 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        parv <parv_fm@nospammail.net>
Cc:        Beech <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports tree stuck in the past

parv wrote:

> in message <20020830085403.24E3F6BF@nebula.anchoragerescue.org>,
> wrote Beech thusly...
>
>>On Thursday 29 August 2002 06:30 pm, parv wrote:
>>
>>>...contents of /usr3/cvsup/sup/refuse...
>>>
>>>ports/INDEX  <------------------------------|
>>>ports/Tools/make_index <------------------|   You need these two ports.
>>>ports/x11-wm/fvwm2-devel
>>>ports/japanese
>>>
>><SNIP>
>>
>>Take INDEX and Tools/make_index out of your refuse file. Then from
>>the top level of your ports do a "make index" to restore your
>>index file. After that you should be fine. Just out of curiosity
>>what posessed you to remove the index and tools? You shouldn't
>>remove anything in the ports tree that starts with a capitol
>>letter.
>>

> downloading INDEX takes a lot of time & does not always reflects the
> reality.  if we/i are/am going to create new INDEX anyway, then
> what's the point in downloading INDEX?

I tried this and it felt like it saved 5 minutes even when I was using
my local mirror. I always run portsdb -uU when I finish and had never
thought about adding INDEX to my refuse file. FWIW, most of the time
my INDEX is more current than what was being downloaded.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA