Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 11:38:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading 2.2.6R --> 2.2.8S -- server crashing

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Jerry Preeper wrote:

> We just finished finished upgrading from 2.2.6-Release to 2.2.8-Stable and
> installed everything last night after testing the build and install on a
> backup drive.  Now, the server has crashed twice today already and I can't
> seem to find any reason why.  Install was done around 9pm last night, first
> crash was about 8am this morning, second crash was around 2:30 pm this
> afternoon.  Also, when it crashes, it doesn't automatically reboot itself,
> which I seem to recall it used to do (it's been a while since it crashed
> before the upgrade).
>
> I have checked in the /var/log/ files, there are no console messages, there
> are no messages in the error log for the main domain on the site, nothing
> that I can see.  When the machine is rebooted there aren't any unusual
> error messages.  And after it's rebooted, everything seems to be running
> fine, from sendmail to the ftp server, to the web server, secure server
> etc....
>
> I'm not sure where else to look or what to look for now.

Well, either start babysitting the machine :) or compile your kernel with
DDB support, so when it panics it will halt and drop to the debugger.
When it crashes and your monitoring system figures it out, go to the box
and run 'trace'.  That should tell you what function it's dying in.

> After upgrading and rebooting the machine, I also re-installed sendmail
> 8.9.2 which was on there before upgrading.  The box is a PII-233, Asus
> P2L97S motherboard, 128MB RAM (and 128MB swap), Barracuda SCSI Drives,
> 3C509B NIC and is at a colocate service.
  ^^^^^^

Oh, yuck.  This big a box with this wimpy a card?  Go buy a PCI ethernet
card and enjoy the bandwidth.

Doug White