Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:34:47 -0800
From:      Rishi Chopra <rchopra@cal.berkeley.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
Subject:   Re: Booting Problem After Power Loss (fsck)?

Good news and bad news:

Good News: System seems to have recovered.  Booting into single user
mode and running fsck worked great for / and /var, but did nothing for
my /usr partition with all my data.  After letting fsck run on my /usr
partition for 4 days, the raid controller appeared to stall and the
machine did not return to a prompt.  Regular boot (multi-user mode)
somehow worked where it would not work before, and background fsck on
the /usr partition eventually ended.  The system is now up and
reachable, which is all I care about.

Bad News: No one who read my last message offered to help.  I suppose
you can draw your own conclusions about the community-like nature of
FreeBSD use in the Bay Area (home to UC Berkeley, FreeBSD Mall, and
birthplace of the FreeBSD movement.)

--
Rishi Chopra
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rchopra