Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:04:01 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabit ethernet -- what am I doing wrong?

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Dennis wrote:

> rate)
> >>
> >> The "availability" of 66Mhz busses is almost moot. Making ASICs work at
> 33mhz
> >> is a chore....66mhz is a waze off.
> >
> >That's close, but several of the major ASIC vendors were (or were
> >claiming to be) sampling devices with 66MHz PCI macrocells the last time
> >I looked.
>
> Any names? the vendors will be few, I think, for awhile.

Uhhh....

	* The PPC106 (PPC chipset) supports 66Mhz PCI
	* The PPC8240 supports 66Mhz PCI
	* Sun UltraAX motherboards have it
	* S3 chips have supported AGP/66Mhz PCI for about a year now at
	  least.
	* ATI supports 66Mhz PCI
	* Digital^H^H^H^H^H^H^HIntel PCI-PCI bridges support it

As for ASICs & FPGAs, everybody has had a PCI core for a while now. At
least everybody had it year ago.

I'd say the only thing that keeps 66Mhz&|64bit PCI from being more widely
used is the lack of these features in PC motherboards.

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.