From:      cal@rushe.aero.org
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        cal@rushe.aero.org
Subject:   dmesg codes, <unknown card>, vendor codes

hi, all -

my next 4.0 question concerns the output of dmesg (i run 4.0 now, but i
suspect that the answer is the same regardless of which version is used)

occasionally (that is, on some machines), i get some <unknown card> messages,
with a vendor number - where can i find a list of such codes (is there a web
site or something? looking for "vendor" and "code" and related terms does not
work very well), and other information that will let me interpret what dmesg
does not?

i think this will help me adjust each of my kernel configurations properly for
sound (the rest seems to be working pretty well), since there are 4 different
machines with 4 different hardware configurations, and 6 different kernel
configurations to consider (the laptops each have two hard disks)

more real soon,
cal

Dr. Christopher Landauer
Aerospace Integration Science Center