Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:47:10 -0300 (ADT)
From:      arthur <arthur@col.auracom.com>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fave Window Manager... found it.

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Tim Gerchmez wrote:

> One of the disadvantages of Fvwm2 is that window resizing can be a pain in
> the butt.  If your desktop and buttonbar are covered up, it becomes very
> difficult to resize a window if you need to (you need to iconify it or
> switch using the pager before you can resize).  I've always preferred
> window managers that auto-resize when you click any edge of a window (like
> Windows does it), and Fvwm2 doesn't do that.  So maybe eventually I'll
> switch to something else (but probably not... I've put a LOT of work into
> configuring Fvwm2 at this point).

... I'm using fvwm2, and I find that by default the "Window-Ops2" moduale
is tied to the button at the left of the title bar, which you can use to
resize the window, or a few other things. Also if you've got a three
button mouse the "Window-Ops" module is confgiured to the second button,
unfortunately I'm using a two button trackball, so I just switched the
"Window-Ops" mod to the trackball's second button.

> >and backgrounds are working
> >perfectly. :).
>
> That's another beef I have with Fvwm2.  The background chooser (called the
> 'backer' module in Fvwm2) is broken, as far as I can see it.  You get two
> choices - "puke purple" (default) or "bunghole brown" (if you try and use
> the backer module).  Nothing else seems to work.  No pictures, nothing.
> The purple is bearable, though.

.... you can cutomize the background color in .fvwm2rc by tweaking the
line with "xsetroot" in it, personally I set it to black and then use
xloadimage to display gifs or jpgs.