Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:36:43 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making 'lpd' under FreeBSD more secure

Just to include some thoughts from the other thread into this
thread, here's the lpd-related proposal from MD:

At 10:27 PM -0800 11/16/98, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>    Ok, here's a limited updated proposal.  I've tested
>    everything except the proposed lpd changes.
 [...]
>    (3)
>
>	Add the 'lpd' user and 'lpd' group to master.passwd.
>
>	Fix lpd.  lpd runs as root, and lpq and lprm are suid.
>	Have lpd bind and setuid()/setgid() itself, have
>	lpq and lprm be setuid() to the lpd user.

As he notes in another message, this could mean that the "-s"
option for lpr would be disallowed (have it print out '-s cannot
be used when lpd is running in secure mode').  The "-s" option
does still sometimes prove to be useful at RPI, so I would want
to keep it around.  Still, I'd always like to close up as many
potential security holes as possible, so I'd like to do as much
of what Matt is shooting for as can be done without actually
losing that option.

(we use "-s" for CAP servers, for instance, and should use it
on SAMBA servers, to reduce the amount of spool space needed
for jobs going thru our print servers)

I still haven't had time to *think* about Matthew's proposal,
but I wanted to put a summary of it somewhere that I could
find it when I have time to think...  :-)

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute