Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:38:05 +0100
From:      Howard Jones <howie@thingy.com>
To:        "hackmiester (Hunter Fuller)" <hackmiester@hackmiester.com>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: taking many 198k mp3 files and converting them to 16k mp3

hackmiester (Hunter Fuller) wrote:
> On 27 August 2006, at 02:49, Gary Kline wrote:
>> --Might be nice to gather (parts of) my favorite CD's
>>     onto one Very long-playing disk.
>
> That would require you to burn an audio DVD, which you couldn't read
> in a  normal CD drive... and I really don't know how exactly you would
> do it either...

Not necessarily. Both of my current DVD players can play a DVD full of
MP3 files. One is a Pioneer, and the other is a more 'random' brand
DVD/DiVX player. The Pioneer does a better job, but both will "play"
data discs of MP3, WMA, JPEG and MPEG1 amongst other things.

Another possibility would be to convert to MP2 audio and make a minimal
video stream to go alongside the audio - say, a black screen, and make a
DVD Video disk using something like transcode. I don't know what the
bare minimum video bitrate is for DVD, but I know you can get a good few
hours that way, in a format that would play on any DVD player. I've been
meaning to try this for ages.

Howie