Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:21:37 -0800
From:      Saint Aardvark the Carpeted <aardvark@saintaardvarkthecarpeted.com>
To:        Jim Pazarena <freebsd@ccstores.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP access

Jim Pazarena disturbed my sleep to write:
> May sound rookie, but presently I go to each box and determine it's
> IP directly and then I "know" the IP (at least for this session).
> There has gotta be a better way.

One thing that *might* work is displaying the arp cache.  This is the list
of MAC addresses (and their associated IP addresses) that a given host
knows about; run "arp -an" and look for something new/different/that has
the same MAC address.

We do this at work periodically when hooking up new machines to a
DHCP server.  There's no question that it would work better if you ran
on the DHCP server itself, but it might work in your situation as well.

HTH,
Hugh
--
Saint Aardvark the Carpeted