Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:10:57 -0400
From:      David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Jukebox Port for FreeBSD?

> > I run a unix xterm window on my PC's. On any box I can run
> > mp3blaster which I use to select and play my
> > selections.  You don't need a graphical term emulator since
> > mp3blaster is ascii.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.  However, I'm looking for something that
> anyone can use, even if they don't have *nix experience.  This is why I
> really like the Globcom Jukebox at http://gjukebox.sourceforge.net/.
> Unfortunately, it's not in the ports tree.  I'm sure that a seasoned
> hacker would have no trouble getting it to compile and running on
> FreeBSD but I'm still pretty green.  Although I guess it couldn't hurt
> to try!  How else would one become a seasoned hacker?  :)

It looks like a neat program. The program itself looks like it is
written in perl, which would run on any machine. The supporting
programs, like nvramwakeup and a few others would have to be installed
to freebsd. My guess is, that would be a bigger job.
The down side, in my opinion to this program is speed. I would
grow impatient waiting for the browser to repaint the screen for
a task that I want to execute in a seconds.

Regarding using mp3blaster, my 8 year-old son uses it.  He doesn't
even know what unix is.  On my windows boxes, there is always a
unix window up and running. In fact, I have the unix window execute
from the startup in windows so everytime windows boots, the xterm
window logs in as me and is waiting for a command. I renamed
mp3blaster to simply "music".  My son simply types "music" at the
prompt.  The menu comes up in a fraction of a second, and he can
have songs playing in another 2 seconds.
One of the great things I like about unix, is how many programs
are not pigs, using all the resouces of the computer for elaborate
and often unnecessary graphics.

Good luck -