Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:57:29 +1100
From:      Antony Mawer <ajmawer@optusnet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best Gigabit NIC for FreeBSD?

Hi all,

I've recently been setting up a server with a D-Link DGE-500T gigabit
ethernet card, that needs to connect to a Novell Netware 4.11 server
over IPX. Using the nge driver, it came up on the network fine using
TCP/IP, but had issues trying to find the Netware server. A 'tcpdump not
ip' showed there were definately IPX traffic/SAP broadcasts being picked
up by the card, but it refused to get up and running

Changing the card over for a 100mbit one using the vr driver picked the
Netware server up without a problem.

Has anyone had any experience with gigabit cards running IPX under
FreeBSD -- or just in general? We're currently investigating purchasing
a different card to try (we were thinking probably Intel - what's
supported best under FBSD?).

The machine in question is running 4.7-RELEASE-p2.

Thanks in advance,
Antony

PS. Please CC me in any replies, as I'm not subscribed to the list! :)