Date:      Sun, 1 Sep 1996 12:48:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Johnson <spatula@gulf.net>
To:        Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems booting 2.1.5 floppy

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Gary Chrysler wrote:

> Don't know if this it it, But I belive I have read several times
> on this list that having more then 16 megs RAM during install
> can cause it to fail..
> Try knocking it down to 16megs for the install, Then compile a
> kernel with >16M support, then stick it all back in.

   I found the problem after a little trial and error:

   With my particular Pentium motherboard (an Asus) I have built-in IO
controllers, and the option in the BIOS to swap drives A/B.  The kicker
is that you can either make the swap in the BIOS or make the swap in the
controller.  I had been swapping just in the BIOS, so I changed it to
swap only in the controller.  It worked perfectly once I had made the change.

   Well, almost perfectly... Sprintlink's routing spasms are keeping me
from being able to FTP the distribution...

   Nick

--
|_| \_|_|\___|_|\_\  http://www.gulf.net/~spatula/linux/  (linux resources)