Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:08:42 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Advocacy" <freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the desktop (was: TheRegister article on Hotmail)

John writes:

> Look, dude, why don't you go and start
> microsoft-windowsxp-advocacy somewhere else.

I'm curious:  How do you hope to win new converts to FreeBSD if you cannot
tolerate anyone who isn't already converted?

> Leave the rest of us UNIX/BSD users alone.

How will you increase your numbers if you are unwilling to discuss your
favorite operating system with heathen users of other operating systems?

> We enjoy UNIX desktops.

Obviously.

> How hard is that for you to comprehend?

Not hard at all.  But the list is dedicated to advocacy, not the status quo,
and telling people to go away every time they fail to embrace FreeBSD
unconditionally and completely isn't going to encourage the spread of the
OS.

> Actually, I invite you to try Mac OS X.

Windows already does everything that I require, and nowadays I don't play
with computers for their own sakes unless I'm paid for it.

> Wonderful desktop, BSD underneath, beats the
> snot out of WindowsXP as far as ease of use.

So what do you run for your desktop?