Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:23:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Veldman <freebsd@planet.nl>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Christophe Prevotaux <chris@hexanet.fr>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   The importance of a correctly set time (was: Make buildworld fails)

> On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Christophe Prevotaux wrote:
>
> > Do I have to reinstall 3.2 RELEASE from CD and re CVSUP again ?
> > since I changed time by ntpdate ?
>
> No. An up-to-date time is really all you need.
Agreed. That worked for me.

I've been checking the relevant documentation on the subject
(make world tutorial, FreeBSD handbook, 'The Complete FreeBSD'
2nd and 3rd edition)
and I could not find any explicit statement of the importance
of a correctly set kernel/CMOS time. Maybe something for
the tutorials/handbook/Complete FreeBSD ?

*If your kernel/CMOS time is not set correctly, your 'make world' and
'make install' of various ports may fail in unexpected ways*

For fun/learning, I'll start playing around with system time
and make buildworlds, and post the results here.

Marc Veldman