Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:54:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What Is config> During Boot?

Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com> types:
> Sorry for the long message but I want to be as explicit as I can regarding
> the steps I have taken.  Thanks for your time!

Providing what you believe is all the relevant information is always a
good thing. Providing a little extra doesn't hurt. Asking people to
dig things out isn't such a great idea. You did an excellent job here
- but we still want more.

> I am still attempting to get a 2nd NIC working in my box I can connect to an
> external DSL modem and do NAT.  Here's the situation:
>
> 1. I have 2 identical LinkSys ISA 10-baseT cards that are NE2000 compatible.
> One (ed0) has been in the system and working reliably since I built the
> system this summer.  It is set to IRQ 9 and address 240H.  My system in not
> PnP.
>
> The second (ed1) was added yesterday and has never worked properly in this
> system but was working fine in the Windows 2000 system it was removed from.
> It is set to IRQ 11 and address 260H.  Both cards passed all tests in the
> configuration software.
> I edited the original "device ed0" line to reflect the correct settings.
> Then I copied and edited for ed1.  So the lines were as follows:
>
> device          ed0     at isa? port 0x240 irq 9 iomem 0xd8000
> device          ed1     at isa? port 0x260 irq 11 iomem 0xd8000
>
> 3. I also edited /etc/rc.conf to include ed1:
>
> network_interfaces="ed0 ed1 lo0"
> ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.0.2  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.168.0.3  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"

I believe that having two nics on the same network is asking for
problems when they work. I've not done it, so can't say for sure what
you'll see.

> 4. Then I recompiled and restarted the system.  Upon restart, I get the
> following message:
> ed0 at port 0x240-0x25f iomem 0xd8000 irq 9 drq 0 on isa0
> ed0: address 00:40:05:66:b2:55, type NE2000 (16 bit)
> ed1 at port 0x260-0x27f iomem 0xd0000 irq 11 on isa0
> ed1: address 00:40:05:66:b2:52, type NE2000 (16 bit)

This is good - it means the system found them both.

> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> ed1: device timeout
> ed1: device timeout

The device timeouts are likely because you've got something else on
IRQ 11. Check that, and change it if it's the problem.

> Then thinking that "at isa?" means "probe and see what you find", I removed
> everything after "at isa?" and recompiled again.  This time only ed0 was
> found but it still worked.

Put that stuff back. "at isa?" means "I don't know which ISA bus it's
on, try these values at all the ones in the machine." Removing the
information about port, irq, etc. means to try the default values for
that device, and there isn't one there.

> So now I'm looking things over and see that at the beginning of dmesg, there
> lines like this:

> config> en ed0
> config> po ed0 0x240
> config> ir ed0 9
> config> iom ed0 0xd8000
> config> f ed0 0
> config> q
>
> What is "config>" and should there be something there for ed1 as well?  Is
> this my problem?  I'd appreciate any help, thoughts, nudges, etc.  I'm new
> to both Unix and FBSD so I may be missing something really basic.

Some one configed ed0 properly for you via the userconfig option. This
does the same thing as "ed0 at isa? port 0x240 irq 9 iomem 0xd8000" in
the kernel config file. You could use this to set up ed1 instead of
the kernel config file - but if you've got an IRQ conflict, it won't
work any better than the kernel config.

	<mike