Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:59:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        Studded@dal.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/net/sirc

 * 	I realize that you have a lot going on with both the elf and perl
 * conversions happening at once. I didn't mean for my comments about the
 * elf libraries to be inflammatory, but reconsidering what may have been a
 * bad choice at this stage in the process is better than regretting it
 * much later IMO.

The problem is that many people (including authors of software we're
porting) have no idea how the shared library versions work. :<

 * The problem with this is that any port on a -Stable system that makes
 * use of the PERL5 variable (like you tried to do with mine) will have to
 * be reinstalled every time the perl version is bumped.

You're right.  I shouldn't have changed yours, since yours just uses
perl as an interpreter and doesn't install anything to
version-specific directories.

But in general, having to reinstall stuff is just the way of life for
the new perl5 (not that I like it, mind you).  They have incompatible
binaries between releases, and manpages are installed in
micro-version-specific directories, etc.

 * 							 I'd like to have a
 * variable similar to what I used in my port that points to the 'perl5'
 * link in either /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin (Ok, ${PREFIX}/bin). Something
 * like this would work, other solutions are possible of course.

Hmm.  I don't think it is necessary to have it in bsd.port.mk given
the nature of the problem (it doesn't apply to most ports).  If
someone can prove me wrong, I can put it in, of course.

 * 	Meanwhile, I'd appreciate it if someone would apply the following patch
 * to my port. It passes portlint, etc.

 * -post-extract:       <====
 * +pre-extract:        <====

 * +post-extract:       <====
 * +.if exists(/usr/bin/perl5)
 * +SHORT_PERL5=/usr/bin/perl5
 * +.else
 * +SHORT_PERL5=${PREFIX}/bin/perl5
 * +.endif
 * +

You don't need to do this (the lines marked with "<====").  Make
variable assignments are not part of the target.

I changed that part and committed it.  Thanks!

Satoshi