Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 18:56:29 -0600
From:      Bob Giesen <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail startup, oddness in /etc/rc

On Friday 15 February 2002 06:06 pm, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 05:36:34PM -0600, Bob Giesen wrote:
> > On Friday 15 February 2002 04:52 pm, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > While investigating how to delay the startup of my mail system
> > > until later in the boot process I discovered something a bit
> > > odd. I use postfix, and it is all setup as it is supposed to
> > > with the mail wrapper etc. I thought I would check how it is
> > > started in /etc/rc.
> > >
> > > However "sendmail_enable" set to "YES" in /etc/rc.conf does not
> > > work unless it finds /etc/mail/sendmail.cf ! This surely cannot
> > > be correct except for users of (the real) sendmail.
> > >
> > > I suppose it is harmless, but if you use another MTA what do
> > > you need sendmail.cf for ?
> >
> >    JOOC, if you use another MTA, why would sendmail_enable be
> > needed in rc.conf?  Doesn't that line (when set to "YES")
> > actually start the sendmail daemon?
> >    I may be wrong, but I think that, by virtue of having that
> > line in rc.conf (or defaults/rc.conf), you unwittingly tried to
> > make yourself a user of the real sendmail.  If so, the missing
> > config (.cf) file just prevented it from acutally happening. :-)
>
> No that is not how it works ..
> FreeBSD uses a mailwrapper program.

   ... learn something new every day.

> So when you install postfix for example, it configures the wrapper
> to call the postfix sendmail rather than the real sendmail. So
> enabling sendmail in rc.conf starts whatever MTA you have
> installed.

   I presume you checked mailer.conf to make sure it got updated
properly...  If it did, I wonder if postfix needs sendmail.cf.  If
not, I'd be tempted to take a look at the mailwrapper code.
   I agree, it does seem odd, now that I understand it a little
better -- albeit not well enough.  A little knowledge, of course, can
be dangerous. :-)

> man 8 mailwrapper
>
> explains it all :)

   ... almost.

--
"A wise man never refuses anything to necessity." -- Publius Syrus,
42 B.C.