Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:37:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        dgilbert@velocet.ca (David Gilbert)
Cc:        archie@whistle.com (Archie Cobbs), julian_elischer@yahoo.com (Julian Elischer), kbyanc@posi.net (Kelly Yancey), freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netgraph documentation?

David Gilbert writes:
> Archie> Right.. PPTP and L2TP are different things. Mpd only supports
> Archie> PPTP at this point.
>
> Well... this is what I wanted to know --- what is the distance
> between the two.  How much effort needs be mustered to close that gap?

They are somewhat similar, since L2TP evovled from PPTP (and L2F).
However, I believe they are sufficiently different that it would
take a fair amount of work to write a L2TP server from a PPTP server.
I haven't read the L2TP spec in detail yet though.

The way mpd works right now, it treats PPTP as just another physical
layer type, like modem or netgraph node. So perhaps L2TP could be
implemented in the same fashion.. ?

I think ppp(8) has a similar device abstraction layer too.

-Archie