Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:03:42 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with FFS and directories of over 1000 entries....

In the last episode (Mar 04), Forrest Aldrich said:
> I understand that FFS has some performance problems in directory/file
> structures that have over 1000 entires... though I'm not sure this
> applies to FFS under FreeBSD-5.x.   Can someone comment on this?

I see no issues on my systems, either 4.x or 5.x, with up to 10k files
in a directory.  Enabling the UFS_DIRHASH kernel option (available in
4.4 and later) will greatly speed up access to large directories, at
the cost of a little memory (adjustable via sysctl).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com