Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 14:31:59 +0200
From:      Kim Hendrikse <kim@nexial.com>
To:        jkh@freebsd.org
Cc:        joerg@freebsd.org, nik@freebsd.org

[resent to www for broader distribution to interested parties]

Hi, I've spoken to you before about this subject. i.e. about hosting
searchable archives for all your mailing lists. I'm keen on implementing
this now. Are you the right person to talk to about this? I'll need to
obtain a bunch of historical archives to bootstrap the process. In the meantime
we have made lots of progress in R/D on the software. We have improved the
fuzzy search algorithm now and included exact search. The user can choose.
We have also made software to do load balancing and optimise the indexes.

Are you guys still interested in having this done? I do understand that you
already have a search engine on all the lists. But we can offer a different
approach. Specifically dynamic previews that include the portion of the
text that best matches the query, this can help a lot of weeding out
the good hits. And indeed, the fuzzyness to reduce the chance of false
hits, which happens a lot of complex technical areas. Developments that
are currently in the pipeline involve a lot of fancy xml stuff that will
allow use to build powerful combinations of searching and browsing threaded
lists.

In any case, I'm at the stage where I want to get this in the air. Please
let me know who to talk to next.

I've currently updated most of the mailing lists that we currently have links
to to use the next search software here:

PS. Do you guys also release binary-only software on your distributions?
We will be releasing a free version of the search software soon. We would be
keen on getting it on your standard release cdroms.

Cheers,
Kim Hendrikse