Date:      Sun, 05 Oct 1997 14:31:30 -0400
From:      Joshua Fielden <shaggy@houseofduck.ml.org>
To:        Marc Ramirez <mrami@cep.yale.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: backing up Win95 SAMBA clients via FreeBSD

Marc Ramirez wrote:

> Hello, all!
>
> I have a FreeBSD server with DAT which serves, via SAMBA some Win95 PCs
> (currently two, but eventually twelve or so as soon as the full funding
> comes through).  Does anyone have any experience/recommendations about
> different backup strategies?
>
> Marc.
>
> --
> na bhavet.h jArajeNa chUrNita

We have the same setup here, and I wrote batch scripts for all the
users. Essentially it is:
xcopy32 c:\mydocu~1\*.* <mapped SAMBA drive> <options>
<more of same>

I changed the properties to close on exit, and all users are expected to
just double-click the icon before they go home at night, or I take no
responsibility for their data. After one user lost 200 address book
entries and some bookmarks, they started to take me seriously. :-)

It's kind of a primative way to do it, but it works pretty flawlessly,
and I've managed to restore every machine that needed restoring. The
only drawback is that it eats drive space for a period of time, but in
my case that doesn't happen to be an issue.
--
This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.  If this had been an
actual life-threatening emergency, we would have fled in terror, and you